MA Thesis and Independent Study Report Style Guide
Updated: August 15, 2014
Style and Format
1. Use one font for your whole essay
Times New Roman (Windows) and DejaVu Serif (Linux) are recommended.
2. An abstract in English of not fewer than two hundred and not more five hundreds words shall be a part of each Thesis or Independent Study Report.
3. For the Text Body, use Double Space, font size 12 point or 11 point (if laser printer used).
4. For the Headings, one can use bold, and bigger font size can be used (16, 14).
5. It is recommended to use style format (Do not format manually), such as Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, Body Text, Quote, Title.
Heading 1 (font size 16)
Heading 2 (font size 14, Bold)
Heading 3 (font size 14)
Heading 4 (font size 12, Bold)
Body Text (font size 12)
6. Page numbering should be placed in the center bottom of the page.
The Roman numerals (lower case, italic) should be used Front matters/Preliminaries which include Abstract, Acknowledgements, Table of Contents, Abbreviations.
7. No page numbering for Title page and Declaration.
8. No footer or header should be used for the Thesis and Independent Study Report.
9. Page size is A4, all margins (top, down, left and right) should be set as 1 inch. Left margin can be 1.25 for the purpose of binding.
10. For Romanized Pali and Sanskrit letters, the following Unicode fonts are recommended.
New Time Roman (version 5, from Windows Vista supports all Pali Diacritic Letters) is recommended for MS Windows 7, 8, 9
For Linux, the following fonts are recommended. They support all romanized Pali and Sanskrit diacritic letters.
Thesis and Independent Study Report Printing and Binding Guide.
11. The College permits the student to submit their Theses and Independent Study Reports in temporary binding for examination purposes. Each copy of the Thesis or Independent Study Report with its Title page preceding the Declaration, shall be bound in three volumes using soft covers.
12. The final copy of the Thesis shall be bound in three volumes, with its Title page preceding the Declaration, with the title, name of author, degree, and date to be lettered in gilt on the front cover and spine in accordance with the standard layout approved by the College.
Hard cover for:
MA Thesis ____(red)_______ colour
Ph.D. Dissertation _____(black)___________colour
13. The final copy of the Independent Study Report shall be bound in three volumes, with its Title page preceding the Declaration, with the title, name of author, degree, and date to be written on the front cover in accordance with the standard layout approved by the College.
Hard cover (with glossy paper 200 g/m² only) for:
Independent Study ______(Green) ______colour
13. One CD Rom containing the soft copy of the completed Thesis as a single PDF file is attached when the final Thesis or independent study Report is submitted.
Guidelines for typing Pali and Sanskrit
How to type Pali in MS Word?
How to input/type Romanized Pali and Sanskrit in Openoffice 3
How to write a research paper
MLA Style Guide with Samples
Please Note: In the bibliography, all lines after the first should be indented.
Citing Print Resources
|Type of Entry||Bibliography||Footnote|
|Book with one author||Frye, Northrop. Anatomy of Criticism: Four Essays.
Princeton: Princeton UP, 1957.
|1 Northrop Frye, Anatomy of Criticism: Four
Essays (Princeton: Princeton UP, 1957) 32-34.
|Book with more than one author||Bonadella, Peter, and Julie Conaway Bonadella, eds. Dictionary of Italian Literature. Westport: Greenwood, 1979.||2 Peter Bonadella, and Julie Conaway Bonadella, eds.,
Dictionary of Italian Literature (Westport: Greenwood,
|Translator of the scriptures||The Book of the Discipline V1. Trans. I. B. Horner. London: PTS, 1949.||The Book of the Discipline V1. Trans. I. B. Horner (London: PTS, 1949): 121.|
|Anonymous Author||"Portents for Future Learning." Time 21 Sept. 1981: 65.||3 "Portents for Future Learning," Time 21 Sept.
|Multi-volume set||Churchill, Winston S. The Age of Revolution. New York: Dodd,
1957. Vol. 3 of A History of the English-Speaking Peoples. 4
|4 Winston S. Churchill, The Age of Revolution,
(New York: Dodd, 1957). Vol. 3 of A History of the English-Speaking
Peoples. 4 vols. 1956-58.
|Journal article (continuous pagination)||Spear, Karen. "Building Cognitive Skills in Basic Writers."
Teaching English in the Two Year College 9 (1983): 91-98.
|5 Karen Spear, "Building Cognitive Skills in Basic
Writers," Teaching English in the Two Year College 9 (1983):
|Journal article (paginated by issue)||Monk, Patricia. "Frankenstein's Daughters: The Problems of the
Feminine Image in Science Fiction." Mosaic 13.3-4 (1980):
|6 Patricia Monk, "Frankenstein's Daughters: The Problems
of the Feminine Image in Science Fiction," Mosaic 13.3-4 (1980):
|Newspaper article||Dalin, Damon. "A $7 Greeting Card? Yes, But listen to the Melody It
Will Play For You." Wall Street Journal 10 May 1983, eastern
|7 Damon Dalin, "A $7 Greeting Card? Yes, But listen to
the Melody It Will Play For You," Wall Street Journal 10 May
1983, eastern ed.: 37.
Citing Electronic Resources
|Type of Entry||Bibliography||Footnote|
|Online journal (using volume and page format)||Simon, Joal A., Esther S. Hudes. "Relationship of
Acid to Blood Lead Levels."JAMA 281 (1999):
Web. 24 Aug. 1999 <http://www.ama-assn.org/
|8Joal A. Simon and Esther S. Hudes, "Relationship of
Ascorbic Acid to Blood Lead Levels," JAMA 281 (1999):
Web. 24 Aug. 1999 <http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/
|Online journal (no volume or page information)||"A New Treatment for Low Back Pain." Alternative
News Online 22 Oct.1998. Web. 24 Aug. 1999
|9 "A New Treatment for Low Back Pain," Alternative
News Online 22 Oct.1998, Web. 24 Aug. 1999
|Online Database or Web Site||The THCME Medical Biochemistry Page. Ed. Michael
King. August 16, 1999. Terre Haute Center for Medical
Education. Web. 24 Aug. 1999 <http://web.indstate.edu/
|10The THCME Medical Biochemistry Page, ed.
Michael W. King, August 16, 1999, Terre Haute Center for Medical
Education, Web. 24 Aug. 1999
MLA Documentation Guide: Citing books, articles, and other sources parenthetically in your paper
Author's name in text (author's last name)
Magny develops this argument (67-69).
Author's name in reference
This argument has been developed elsewhere (Magny 67-69).
Quotation found in indirect or "secondhand" source
The philosopher Alain states that "admiration is not pleasure but a kind of attention. . ." (qtd. in Magny 66).
Material found in indirect source
Alain's words seem to dissociate admiration from pleasure (in Magny 66).
Two authors' names in reference
The most notorious foreign lobby in Washington is the "Sugar Mafia" (Howe and Trott 134).
Reference to volume and page in multivolume work
As a painter Andrea was "faultless" (Freedberg 1: 98).
Reference to whole volume
In his second volume, Freedberg gives an account of Andrea's whole painting career.
Two works by same author on list of works cited
Frye connects Burgess' A Clockwork Orange to romance tradition (Secular Scripture 110).
Two locations in same source
Dabundo deals with this problem (22, 31).
Two sources cited
This controversy has been addressed more than once (Dabundo 27; Magny 69).
Personal interview; name given in text
Parsons talked about the need for physical education teachers to understand the relationship between physical activity and fitness.
Many different types of organizations in the United States are involved in mediation and dispute resolution (Natl. Inst. for Dispute Resolution).
Electronic source that uses paragraph numbers
The semiconductor workplace is highly toxic (Ross, par. 35).
Electronic source that uses chapter and section numbers
"Once we start using a tool extensively, it also starts using us" (Rawlins, ch. 1, sec. 1).
For more information on how to reference electronic sources, see Frequently Asked Questions about MLA Style
Web Resources for MLA Style
Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting and Style Guide
This resource offers examples for the general format of MLA research papers, in-text citations, endnotes/footnotes, and the Works Cited page.
The Writer's Handbook: MLA Documentation Guide
The University of Wisconsin - Madison provides a quick resource for citing references in papers using the style outlined by the 2009 MLA Handbook.
MLA Reference Examples Handout
From the Wayne State University Libraries. May be printed and downloaded.